Taught by renowned anthropologist Daniela Peluso, Ph.D, this course bridges profound levels of understanding between Amazonian shamanism and realities of economics and sexuality in ayahuasca tourism.
In this short yet powerful course, you’ll learn about:
- Indigenous Amazonian shamanic realities and spiritual ontologies
- Ayahuasca economies, including indigenous systems of reciprocity and global systems of market capitalism.
- International tourism and its impact on indigenous communities in the Amazon
- Gender and sexuality in shamanism and the occurrence of shaman-participant seduction within ayahuasca tourist retreats.
“This is a timely course on both Amazonian shamanism and ayahuasca, documenting the historical changes and offering an analysis of the misunderstandings regarding gender relations between indigenous shamans and the non-indigenous participants in ayahuasca tourism.”
Jean Langdon, Ph.D, Author of the book: Portals of Power: Shamanism in South America
Drawing upon 30 years of working with indigenous communities in the Amazon jungle, Daniela Peluso offers us important insights about the changing world of Amazonian shamanism. She begins her course by teaching us how indigenous people were severely misunderstood and misrepresented by Western society in the past.
Shamanism among cultures in the Amazon is based on complex understandings that are radically different to Western conceptions of minds, bodies and spirituality. Dr. Peluso teaches us about the nature of these shamanic realities, including the role of human and nonhuman shapeshifting for healing.
The second part of the short course illuminates the intersection of different ayahuasca economies and tourism in the changing landscape of ayahuasca shamanism.
The course then teaches us important knowledge about the role of gender and sexuality within types of Amazonian cosmology and shamanism. This sets the foundation for an overview of the controversial topic of shaman-participant seduction in ayahuasca retreats.
By undertaking a critical and balanced approach to the topic of ayahuasca tourism, Dr. Peluso presents essential reflections about the ethics and responsibilities of everyone involved in the global expansion of ayahuasca shamanism.
- Teacher and Course Introduction (1:22)
- Classic and Contemporary views of Amazonia (4:37)
- Shamanism Among Indigenous Amazonian peoples (9:29)
- Ayahuasca and Amazonians (1:41)
- Case Study: The Ese Eja (9:56)
- Indigenous Ontologies: Predator, Prey and Ally Perspectives (9:32)
- Multiple Realities and Becoming Human (10:01)
- Colonial Histories and Contemporary Perceptions (9:02)
- Different Ayahuasca Economies (10:19)
- Foundations of Ayahuasca Tourism in Madre de Dios and in General (7:28)
- Ayahuasca Tourism and The Environmental Service Economy (10:28)
- Ayahuasca Cosmopolitanism (8:50)
- Non-local NGOs and Discriminatory Authority (4:55)
- The Ambivalence of Ayahuasca Cosmo-Capitalism (9:11)
- Ayahuasca International Tourism (10:31)
- Sex, Seduction and Gendered Power Relations (13:33)
- Shaman Participant Seduction (11:01)
Do I Need to Start the Courses at a Particular Time or Place?
No, all Kahpi courses are online, and you can take them from any place where you have an internet connection. All the teachings are pre-recorded so you can watch them at any time that works for you. You can also enjoy all the lessons on your phone and tablet.
How Much Time Do I Need to Complete The Kahpi Courses?
We currently have 12 Courses for you to browse and learn from. Each course consists of several hours of teachings that are split into many 10 minute lessons. You can navigate the course panel in an easy-to-use way and choose whichever lessons you wish.
Can I Buy Each Course Separately?
The courses cannot be purchased individually. With a Kahpi membership, you'll get full access to all the Kahpi courses.
What Does the Kahpi Membership Include?
The Kahpi Membership includes: 1. Full access to all the Kahpi courses 2. An exclusive monthly newsletter with information about ayahuasca healing retreats and events, new scientific and cultural studies, and more, 3. A copy of our E-Booklet, "The Kahpi Guide to Ayahuasca", and 4. Access to the Members-only discussion forums for each Kahpi course. There are two great options to become a member and receive all of the above: You can become a Monthly Member or a Lifetime Member.
What if I Find Technology Difficult to Use?
It's very simple to browse and watch the Kahpi courses. Once you signup or login, you are taken directly to your courses and can simply choose which lessons to watch. If you ever have any questions, our team can assist you immediately.
Is it Safe to Pay By Credit Card Online?
We use industry-standard encryption to protect your credit card details throughout the checkout process. Your information is never shared with anyone, and we won’t be able to see your credit card details. We take your online security extremely seriously. If you don’t like paying by credit card online, you can also pay with your PayPal account.
What Should I Do When I Complete My Learning?
It's very simple to cancel your Monthly Membership at anytime you wish. Students of Lifetime Membership can easily revisit lessons in the future to help with integration and the longer path of ayahuasca.