Taught by Brazilian anthropologist Gretel Echazú, Ph.D, this course unleashes an empowering critical lens upon the ethically contentious space of ayahuasca tourism and therapies in the Peruvian Amazon.
In this short course, you'll learn about:
- The history of ayahuasca and its relationship to the rubber tapping industry since the 1850s.
- Amazonian spiritualities and the feminine and masculine dimensions of plants and nature.
- The lives of two popular indigenous ayahuasca healers.
- Ethical guidelines for drinking ayahuasca in the Peruvian Amazon.
"I see a great need for an informed, science-based and experienced-based source of information and guidance on the subject. Kahpi meets that need beautifully. It will be a cherished resource for all those wanting to deepen their knowledge and practice."
Dr. Gabor Maté
~Renowned Speaker and Best Selling Author
Indigenous Amazonian cultures have been fantasized, demonized and romanticized by Western societies for hundreds of years. In this fast-paced course, Gretel Echazú illustrates how common thinking in the West about shamanism is sometimes guilty of reproducing old inequalities and false portrayals.
Drawing upon her work as an anthropologist living among different native therapists in the Peruvian jungle town of Tamshiyacu, Dr. Echazú teaches us how the feminine and masculine aspects of healing plants are undergoing a transformation within the current ayahuasca tourism boom.
In this course, you’ll learn about the dangers of Western fantasies about indigenous people and the need to be open to appreciating the complexity of indigenous shamanism.
Distinctions such as male and female plant-spirits, black and white magic, ancient and modern therapies, and Northern and Southern societies, are all critically untangled in this compact course. Dr. Echazú provides realistic ways of thinking about Amazonian shamanism and also positive ethical guidelines for drinking ayahuasca with people native to the Amazon Rainforest.
- Colonial Utopias: A History of Ayahuasca and Rubber (8:29)
- Western Imaginings: Rubber and Ayahuasca (5:32)
- Power and Knowledge Between People from the South and the North (11:09)
- The Building of an Experience: Different Agents of Ayahuasca Practice (11:38)
- Hierbas [herbs], Palos [barks]: Feminine and Masculine Dimensions of Nature (10:09)
- Visiting Two Popular Curanderos [Healers]: Julio & Isabel (16:56)
- Effects of the New Age: From the Feminization of Ayahuasca to the "Shameans Phenomena" (10:23)
- Black Magic, White Magic: The Therapeutic Approach and the Power of Local Magic (12:10)
- Homeopathic Biopiracy and the Profit of World Heritage (10:17)
- Translation and the Weaknesses and Strengths of an Ayahuasca Teaching Initiative (11:19)
Do I Need to Start the Courses at a Particular Time or Place?
No, all Kahpi courses are online, and you can take them from any place where you have an internet connection. All the teachings are pre-recorded so you can watch them at any time that works for you. You can also enjoy all the lessons on your phone and tablet.
How Much Time Do I Need to Complete The Kahpi Courses?
We currently have 12 Courses for you to browse and learn from. Each course consists of several hours of teachings that are split into many 10 minute lessons. You can navigate the course panel in an easy-to-use way and choose whichever lessons you wish.
What if I Find Technology Difficult to Use?
It's very simple to browse and watch the Kahpi courses. Once you signup or login, you are taken directly to your courses and can simply choose which lessons to watch. If you ever have any questions, our team can assist you immediately.
Is it Safe to Pay By Credit Card Online?
We use industry-standard encryption to protect your credit card details throughout the checkout process. Your information is never shared with anyone, and we won’t be able to see your credit card details. We take your online security extremely seriously. If you don’t like paying by credit card online, you can also pay with your PayPal account.
What Should I Do When I Complete My Learning?
It's very simple to cancel your monthly subscription at anytime you wish.